The only family-owned and locally owned funeral establishment on the monterey peninsula



Carlton G. Reiley

December 31, 1933 ~ March 16, 2019 (age 85)

    Carlton Gordon Reiley, M.D., passed away at his home in Carmel,
    CA, with his wife by his side, on March 16, 2019. Carl was born
    on a snowy New Year’s Eve in 1933 near Bellaire, Michigan. He
    was the third son of Harry A. Reiley and Aura Stanton Johnson
    As he grew up, he worked with his father and brothers in the
    woods cutting logs and learning a woodsman's skills. One of his
    many jobs was putting docks in the water as ice thawed in the
    lakes. He also learned construction, plumbing, and electrical
    work while helping build his brother Herb’s house.
    After graduating from Bellaire High School, Carl headed to
    Michigan State College, where he continued working many jobs to
    put himself through school. His favorite way to earn money was
    his life-long passion, playing Dixieland Jazz. His mother was a
    talented piano teacher, but Carl's interest was in the trombone
    and cornet, which he learned to play from his brother, Chuck.
    Although too young to even be in a bar, many nights he was up in
    front of crowds, with special permission, playing with the band.
    Three years later, he started medical school at the University of
    Michigan in Ann Arbor, where he was a member of Phi Chi medical
    fraternity. He earned money playing trombone with the Ann Arbor
    Alleycats, the Boll Weevil Band, and the Wolverine Stompers. His
    4th year he was accepted into the Army Senior Medical Student
    Program. While in medical school he met Nancy Dreibelbies, a
    nursing student, who became his wife on June 17, 1957, in her
    hometown of Erie, Pennsylvania. After their marriage the couple
    headed for Denver, Colorado, where Carl interned for one year.
    They took up skiing and mountain hiking in his rare time off.
    Here their first daughter, Linda, was born.
    In the summer of 1959, Carl went on active duty with the US Army.
    He became the Battle Group Surgeon for the 1st Battle Group, 20th
    Infantry, Fort Kobbe, Panama Canal Zone. Here he began his almost
    50 year enjoyment of snorkeling. He continued his love of hiking,
    once even cutting his way through the jungle with his machete on
    the Las Cruces Trail. Their second daughter, Kathleen, was born
    during this time.
    Upon return to the mainland, Carl completed a three year
    residency in Internal Medicine at Letterman General Hospital in
    San Francisco. Here twin daughters, Debra and Karen, were born to
    complete the family. Wherever the Army sent their family, he and
    Nancy took their daughters out many weekends to explore the new
    area. They drove across country several times, Carl singing
    harmony to his four daughters' melody, and Nancy requesting songs
    while watching the map and planning stops for adventures along
    the way. Summers were always filled with hiking, camping, and
    more exploration.
    After residency he was stationed at Ft. Knox, Kentucky, where he
    spent only 7 months before heading to the war in Vietnam. Carl
    was assigned to the 8th Field Hospital in Nha Trang in 1966. Here
    he continued his interest in tropical medicine that began in
    Panama. He treated malaria, bubonic plague, and leptospirosis
    while also triaging soldiers off the battlefield as they arrived
    at the hospital. Upon his return home, he was first stationed at
    Ft. Ord, California, and then transferred to Tripler Army
    Hospital in Hawaii, where he was Assistant Chief of Medicine.
    Here the whole family enjoyed snorkeling and hiking together.
    In 1970 Carl resigned from the Army to go into private practice
    at the Woodland Clinic in Woodland, California. That year he also
    became a Fellow of the American College of Physicians. During the
    winters the family skied at Sugar Bowl, where Carl was on the
    Doctors' Ski Patrol. Summers were spent camping and hiking with
    his family. He also performed multiple times at the Sacramento
    Jazz Festival with his brother Chuck's Alamo City Jazz Band from
    San Antonio, Texas. When the Gulf War began in 1990, Carl went
    from the Army Reserve to active duty once again at Ft. Ord Army
    Hospital. It was there that he finished his twenty-two years of
    service to his country as a lieutenant colonel. During his
    military career, he earned the National Defense Service Medal
    with the Bronze Star, the Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry
    Unit Citation, and the Vietnam Campaign Medal, among other
    Retiring in Carmel, Carl was able to indulge even more in his
    love of Dixieland music, and his hobbies of making model train
    layouts, gunsmithing, genealogy, and reading about Western
    pioneer history. Carl and Nancy enjoyed seeing the world,
    eventually visiting 58 countries together. They combined their
    enjoyment of traveling and music by playing on many Jazz Sea
    Cruises. He played with the Bye Bye Blues Boys for many years at
    the Monterey Dixieland Jazz Festival. He also played with the
    Sweet Thursday Jazz Band, the Ragtime Stompers and, most
    recently, the Dixie Syncopators. He was a member of the Monterey
    Hot Jazz Society.
    Carl leaves behind his wife of sixty-one years, Nancy, and four
    daughters: Linda (Colin) Clark of Larkspur, CO; Kathleen (Rich)
    Sternal of Naperville, IL; Debra (Bruce) Haley of Lake City, CA;
    Karen (Darrell) Schnabel of Folsom, CA. He also leaves
    grandchildren Connor (Brianne) Clark, Garrett (Sara) Clark,
    Meghan Sternal, Brent Sternal, Brendan Haley, Melissa Cook
    (Bogdan) Anton, and Courtney Cook (Joshua) Smith. In recent
    years, he was blessed with four great-grandchildren: Olivia,
    Jacob, and Rosalie Anton, and Hunter Smith. He also leaves his
    99-year-old brother Herb (Florence) Reiley of Bellaire, MI, and
    his brother-in-law George Dreibelbies, as well as numerous nieces
    and nephews. His other brothers, Dr. Charles W. Reiley and
    “cousin-brother,” Mr. Don Reiley Hill, predeceased him.
    Services will be held on Thursday, April 4th, at 11:00 a.m. at
    the Church of the Forest in Pebble Beach, followed by military
    burial with full honors at Sacramento Valley National Cemetery in
    Dixon, CA, on April 5th at 10:30 a.m.

© 2019 Bermudez Family Cremations and Funerals. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS